The Power of Positivity

The Power of Positivity

After reading the Zen and Art of Happiness, I'm trying to make a conscious effort to be happy. That may sound silly but it's so easy to get upset and frustrated when things go wrong. Instead of looking at events as either "good events" or "bad/unlucky events", I'm trying to look at events as neutral events. Whether or not I am happy or have a good day is based on how I react to these neutral events. Even really seemingly-unlucky events can be positive.

Prime example happened the other day! I was planning to go on a run on an outdoor trail. I mapped the trail and the distance of my run and was super excited about exercising. When I got to the trail, I found out it was completely flooded! And let me tell you by "completely flooded" I mean 2 feet of water (picture above for your personal enjoyment!). Instead of being frustrated or going home angry, I decided to make the best of the situation. The park had an open area leading up to the trailhead that wasn't flooded. I decided to run around the open area for the same amount of time that I had planned to run. I'm sure that I looked ridiculous running around this field, but I was super happy. After warming up, I really enjoyed my run. The fact that the trail was flooded seemed like the outcome was decided for me: I was going home and not working out. BUT! I made the best of the situation and had a really good work out! It's really hard to not sweat the small stuff, but it really will lead to an overall happier life. I challenge you to make an effort to be more consciousness about choosing happiness and letting go of the rest.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment